Mercury

Print this article
Share this page:
Also known as: Hg
Formal name: Mercury, urine and blood
Related tests: Lead, arsenic, heavy metals

At a Glance

Why Get Tested?

To detect excessive exposure to mercury

When to Get Tested?

When you have symptoms of mercury poisoning, to evaluate a known exposure to mercury, or to monitor occupational exposure to mercury

Sample Required?

A blood sample drawn from a vein in your arm and/or a urine collection

The Test Sample

What is being tested?

Mercury is an element that exists in three forms: as a free metallic (liquid or vapour), an inorganic compound (mercury salt), and as a variety of organic compounds (the most common of which is methyl mercury). This test measures the amount of mercury present in blood, urine, or (rarely) hair to detect acute or chronic excessive exposure.

Mercury is found in small quantities throughout the environment. It is released by the breakdown of minerals in rocks and soils and as a byproduct of fossil fuel combustion and waste incineration. It is inhaled with the air that we breathe, absorbed through the skin, and ingested with food. The tiny amounts to which the vast majority of people are exposed to do not generally cause health concerns but people who are exposed to dangerous concentrations of mercury (such as might be found at a hazardous waste site) or are exposed chronically to mercury (such as those who work with 'heavy metals' in their occupation) may have mercury-related symptoms and complications.

Exposure to excessive amounts of mercury can be toxic. The amount of mercury absorbed by an individual and its effects on their health depends on the type of mercury, its concentration, and the exposure time. According to the American Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), very little metallic mercury (less than 0.01%) is absorbed by the body, even if it is swallowed. However, if the same mercury is inhaled as a vapour, about 80% is absorbed into the bloodstream. About 95% of methyl mercury (the type found in fish and other seafood) is absorbed by the gastrointestinal tract.

The most common source of human exposure to methyl mercury is as a result of eating contaminated seafood. Fish that come from contaminated waters and larger predator fish - fish that have eaten smaller fish - may have significantly increased levels of methyl mercury. This is why it is recommended that you know the source of the fish you consume and that you limit the quantity of large predator fish you eat. Recommendations on the amount of fish to eat can be found in the Better Health Channel article under Related Pages.

Once mercury is absorbed, it finds its way into a variety of body organs, including the kidney and brain. The body will slowly rid itself of mercury through the urine and stool, but if excessive amounts are present, it can permanently damage the kidneys, nervous system, and brain.

Pregnant women with elevated levels of mercury can pass it on to their fetus, affecting development especially the fetus's brain, kidneys, and nerves. Mercury can be passed from mother to baby through breast milk during nursing.

How is the sample collected for testing?

A blood sample is obtained by inserting a needle into a vein in the arm or a random or 24 hour urine sample may be collected. Rarely, another sample such as hair, breast milk, or nails may be tested.

Is any test preparation needed to ensure the quality of the sample?

No test preparation is needed. Consult your doctor or laboratory about urine collection to avoid sample contamination.

The Test

Common Questions

Ask a Laboratory Scientist

Article Sources

« Return to Related Pages

NOTE: This article is based on research that utilizes the sources cited here as well as the collective experience of the Lab Tests Online Editorial Review Board. This article is periodically reviewed by the Editorial Board and may be updated as a result of the review. Any new sources cited will be added to the list and distinguished from the original sources used.