Code of Conduct
We have designed Lab Tests Online-AU to comply with the eight principles of the Health On the Net (HON) Code of Conduct for medical and health web sites. Our Web site has been visited and reviewed by the HONcode team in January 2008 for compliance.
The HON Code of Conduct lists the following principles:
1. Authority: Any medical or health advice provided and hosted on this site will only be given by medically trained and qualified professionals unless a clear statement is made that a piece of advice offered is from a non-medically qualified individual or organisation.
Lab Tests Online-AU: All medically-related information on the site has been culled from qualified resources. A complete list of resources can be found at the end of each information page, complete with hyperlinks to the pages used as sources of information.
2. Complementarity: The information provided on this site is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her existing physician.
Lab Tests Online-AU: Our primary objective is education of the public about lab testing in order to facilitate improved doctor-patient communication. We encourage patients and caregivers to learn as much as they can about their health care so that they can become more active partners with their doctors regarding their care.
3. Confidentiality: Confidentiality of data relating to individual patients and visitors to a medical/health Web site, including their identity, is respected by this Web site. The Web site owners undertake to honour or exceed the legal requirements of medical/health information privacy that apply in the country and state where the Web site and mirror sites are located.
4. Attribution: Where appropriate, information contained on this site will be supported by clear references to source data and, where possible, have specific HTML links to that data. The date when a clinical page was last modified will be clearly displayed (e.g. at the bottom of the page).
Lab Tests Online-AU: Because this site is designed for patients and caregivers, we have not included references to source data for the sake of readability. We do list sources used on the site in the links section of each information page, and we do keep records of specific references off-line. If there is a question regarding a source for a specific piece of information, please contact us.
Every page with substantive content includes a page modification date at the bottom of the page.
5. Justifiability: Any claims relating to the benefits/performance of a specific treatment, commercial product or service will be supported by appropriate, balanced evidence in the manner outlined above in Principle 4.
Lab Tests Online-AU: Not applicable to our site as we do not discuss or advocate specific treatments or promote commercial products or services.
6. Transparency of authorship: The designers of this Web site will seek to provide information in the clearest possible manner and provide contact addresses for visitors that seek further information or support. The Webmaster will display his/her E-mail address clearly throughout the Web site.
Lab Tests Online-AU: For our feature articles, we do note the author and sources for the information. Our editorial board has been responsible for reviewing all test, condition/diseases, and screening pages; we also note on this page the contributions of individuals who have reviewed or written material. We have not included contact information for these sources out of respect for their privacy. Again, questions may be funneled through the email address above so that they may be directed to the appropriate respondent.
7. Transparency of sponsorship: Support for this Web site will be clearly identified, including the identities of commercial and non-commercial organisations that have contributed funding, services or material for the site.
Lab Tests Online-AU: These organisations are clearly identified on our home page, and again on our Partners and page, which include brief descriptions of each organisation and a link to its web site.
8. Honesty in advertising and editorial policy: If advertising is a source of funding it will be clearly stated. A brief description of the advertising policy adopted by the Web site owners will be displayed on the site. Advertising and other promotional material will be presented to viewers in a manner and context that facilitates differentiation between it and the original material created by the institution operating the site.
Lab Tests Online-AU: There is no advertising on the site. Sponsors of the Lab Tests Online-US site who provide funding for that site, provided advice and assistance in promoting Lab Tests Online. They were not involved in the editorial development of the site.